The first resolution from my PDF guide, New Year’s Resolutions for Your Website, is Get the newest CMS. In this video, I explain why you need to keep your content management system up to date. Specifically, I cover Drupal, WordPress, and Joomla. All three are open source and run on the LAMP stack.
Even if you use a different CMS, the reasons to get the newest version are the same. The newest version…
- offers the latest and greatest features
- is the most secure
- is ready for future updates
In the video, I demonstrate how to update WordPress with a single click. Keep in mind, you should always backup your website before you update it. In the video I referenced another screencast, How to backup your web site using cPanel File Manager. It’s a little dated, but the basics are still relevant.
Without further ado, here is the video:
- This screencast was recorded on the fly at Screenr.com. Please pardon any fumbles, mumbles, and grumbles.
- At 2:15 – “…initiative to ‘push’ Drupal 8” should be “initiative to ‘develop’ Drupal 8.” If you want to use Drupal, then use version 7.
- At 3:45 – Sorry for the siren! My office window is next to a six-lane road.
- If you haven’t downloaded my free PDF guide, New Year’s Resolutions for Your Website, then please do it now!
- Stay tuned for more videos in this series.